Sunday, September 21, 2008
Blog #5
My future job when I graduate this May is to work for Republic National Distributing Company. In this company, I will work as an on-premise sales representative. The courses that I might be helpful to me are those in the Marketing section of the OU Business College. Since I am a Public Relations Major, I have been able to take a large amount of different classes to fulfill my elective credits. Gender will probably play a small role in my future job. At Republic National, there are on-premise and off-premise sales representatives. The on-premise is dominated by women and the men dominate the off-premise area. I understand why this is since I was an intern this summer and worked for both sides. The off-premise side has a lot more manual labor of lifting and stacking cases of liquor. Off-premise representatives also have to use a dolly and help load and unload orders. Most of the women in the industry would not be able to complete such physical labor as the men do. This is why gender plays a roll in the type of sales I would do. My previous work includes my internship with Republic National this past summer. Before this, I have exclusively worked in the restaurant industry. I found that being a girl in that industry is very helpful. I was previously a skating Sonic Car-hop in Dallas. The guys that worked there did not usually get to take orders out because they would not make much money. Instead, they were paid more hourly and took orders and helped inside. I was also a waitress at a restaurant in Norman and made more money then guys pretty much on any given night. In this sense, gender helped me to make more money, which is ironic since men make more in the real world because our society says they are the primary bread winners for their families. In the F-Word, it talks about the unequal pay and the difficulties that come with a career and motherhood. I found this interesting. I don't understand why many of the things we read say that the government should step in a control things like unequal pay or paid leave. In class we were read an excerpt of a day in the life without feminism. I found it horrifying to hear that people want an income from the government per child. Where would that money come from? It seems to me that feminists are pressuring to move our capitalist society towards a socialist one. Hull talks about race and feminism. I just wish people would stop being victims and make their own path in life. I understand that discrimination still exists, clearly since I am a woman, but to focus on what has been accomplished for all red, black, yellow and the "privileged white." I find it sickening for people to assume that white girls are not discriminate against to for our color. I have been called so many foul names by other races, but I choose to stand above it and not let the words or actions of another person who is different than me affect my everyday life. The F-Word also talks about women are not in many high positions in Fortune 500 companies. Would anyone consider that maybe that has something to do with all the women who leave those high position once they are obtained? Also, as I previously discussed in a blog 4, I was promoted to a higher position due to "Affirmative Action" instead of being the best. I found that to be disgusting that I was the best out of the girls and that I might have taken another person's spot who was more qualified. I do not believe anyone should be out of the race because of gender. I want to succeed in the world based on hard work and dedication, not the fact that I am a female.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment