Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Blog #7

After reading Belkin's argument and finding another article responded to Belkin's article, I find it hard to see who is actually more correct. What I found while reading Belkin's article was that she was using the Princeton graduates to demonstrate how hard it is for all women to work and have a family life. I feel that she wrote specifically about these women to show that even having a master's doesn't make juggling life any easier. In the response article that I read, it went into how unrealistic Belkin's subjects were compared to the actual workforce. As I have just previously stated, I think she used those women as prime examples for every woman. In my life, my mom did quit working when she started having children, but it was her own personal choice. I do understand that there are many hardships for women who have to work to help support the family, however. I do also know, that having a parent stay at home with the children is far better for the child then being given care by anyone else. I will say right now that when I do have kids, I plan to stay at home then re-enter the work force in a "part-time" field of my choice, which is personal training. To me, this has nothing to do with having trouble getting back to work in my same profession. It has everything to do with a personal choice that I have decided upon for myself. I don't even have a husband yet, but if that is possible, that is exactly what I am going to do. To me, every woman needs to "make it work" to the best of their ability and roll with the punches. I am so tired of people wanting everything in life to be a breeze. What is the purpose of life if there is nothing worth fighting for?

No comments: